Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hi, I'm K.S. and I am a hipster


   


   "Characters who like hot jazz". The first definition of hipster listed in the dictionary "For Characters Who Don't Dig Jive Talk". Initially hipsters were young white kids in the 40's and 50's that wanted to be in the scene of the black jazz musicians they followed.
      In the 90's it was a subculture that listened to indie music, wore vintage and thrift store clothes, and had nonconformity views politically. The culture has been described as a melting pot of styles, tastes, and behaviors by Christian Lorentzen of Time Out New York. In my opinion, that is the best way to describe it.
     Now in our modern times, we all decline that we are hipsters. The word and meaning has grown to have a bad connotation. Today we all mix different genres of music, clothing, movies, etc. there are still defined groups of people, but more and more we are developing our own independent views and tastes.
     I'm a hipster, I have such a variety of tastes in all art. I don't partially enjoy country music, but just because a song is under the genre of country doesn't mean I won't give it a chance. I will listen and see how it makes me feel, and if I like the production of it. And if I like it, then I like a country song. If we never knew what genre meant we would listen to everything based on how we feel about it and if we like it. Some days I dress like I'm a woman from the 50's and other days I dress rockabilly. Therefore I'm a hipster, because I'm not conforming to one group. I don't mind being called a hipster because of the actual meaning of hipster.
     Hi, I'm K.S. and I am a hipster.

             Sincerely,
                      K.S. Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment